-
Adding this "elective" class to the Oklahoma education system is an accident waiting to happen.
How will this class be taught? Will schools use the Bart Ehrman approach that the Bible is a mismash of questionable documents and unreliable information?
Will it be taught under the eventual auspices of whatever religious group is in power in a particular school district?
How long will it be before people of particular faiths protest the class as being too secular?
I believe the school system would have been better off offering a comparative religion course so students have the opportunity to learn about a variety of religions.
Fat chance that will happen in Oklahoma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stephen,
ReplyDeleteThat is the part that baffles me. Why would people who value the authority of their minority religious view want the public school to teach it? Why give your power to a public school board? What if they choose a Catholic or Methodist or Pentecostal curriculum when they were expecting a Southern Baptist one? Do Baptists want Pentecostals to teach their children to speak in tongues? Do Pentecostals want Baptist teacher to teach their children not to speak in tongues? It is just a bad idea from start to finish. I like the separation of church and state.
And, while I'm at it, I like to keep the sacraments to the authority of the churches, too. The state should not be allowed to meddle in whether or not I agree to perform a wedding ceremony for a couple. If the state thinks it must have rules for legal pairings, do that outside the bonds of holy matrimony, please.
As a minister, I want the state out of my church!
Mary