-
With the announced retirement of Justice John Paul Stevens, President Obama has another opportunity to change the complexion of the Supreme Court in a radical way by breaking up the Harvard/Yale law grad and Catholic faith connection.
Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm not anti Catholic. What I am is pro diversity.
Right now all the Justices graduated from either Harvaed or Yale. Their are many good law schools that crank out top flight lawyers. Let's get someone from outside the Ivy League.
Six of the nine justices are Catholic. Let's get a Unitarian or Baptist or Methodist or Atheist or member of another faith in one of the chairs. Just as we need education diversity, let's have some religious diversity.
Let's also see someone who isn't a Federal judge. Once again, it seems to be a "rule" that potential justices serve on the Federal bench - it's time for a different perspective. I'd like to see a state judge or even someone who hasn't been a judge. How about a regular working attorney?
Obama has the power to move SCOTUS away from the status quo - I hope he has the good sense to bring someone with an "outside the SCOTUS Beltway" perspective.
-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment