-
While driving around town today I heard one of the heads of the Big Three Automakers - didn't catch his name - comment that it was about time Government leaders came to the Detroit Auto Show and paid attention to Detroit. He also commented that with all the BMW's. Merc's, Acura's and Lexus' being driven by politicans, Detroit was becoming the bastard stepchild of the world auto industry (my interpretation of his remarks).
Here's why I, and so many others, drive a "forgeign" car - it's an Acura (built in the US)- my third. These experiences are just mine but from what I've heard from others, about par for the course.
1 - 1974 Pinto - bought it new, it died before hitting 65,000 miles
2 - 1988 Ford Taurus Station Wagon - just plain wore out at 96,000 miles
3 - 1996 Ford Ranger pickup - replaces the transmission twice, the air conditioning unit, the power steering unit and the starter before hitting 120,000 miles
4 - 1994 Jeep - need i say more? It leaked fluids worse than my MG's. The only difference is that the MG's actually ran more than they were in the shop. Among the things replaced - motor mounts, starter, injector system, computer and fan.
My last two Acura's each had over 200,000 miles on them when traded in for a newer model. The biggest repair to either was a head gasket on #2 at 152,000 miles. The current Acura has 106,000 miles and runs like a top.
If Detroit wants me as a customer, they need to create a reliable car that looks good (remember the Aztec?).
Having said that, I would consider a Ford product the next time I'm ready to buy. They seem to have their act together. As for GM and Chrysler - if you can't make a reliable, good looking product that people want to buy, don't bitch when you go under. That's part of our free market economy.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yep--I own two Volkswagens--the Jetta TDI gets 55 mph on the highway and 40 mph in town--an no battery pack to replace. Before these-a Honda Odyssey and a Toyotal Tacoma, before that A h onda and a Toyota pickup. Once ha a Chrysler Town and Country--replaced the transmission and need to replace the airconditioner when I traded it for the Odyssey.
ReplyDelete